Queens Park is an eastern suburb of Sydney,
located 6 kilometres east of the Sydney
central business district, in the local
government area of Waverley Council. The
postcode is 2022. Queens Park is
situated east of the park and suburb known
as Centennial Park, west of Waverley and
Charing Cross, south of Bondi Junction and
north of Randwick.
Queens Park was originally part of the
Sydney Common and later the Lachlan Swamps
Water Reserve. Today it is a large urban
park, part of Centennial Parklands. It was
dedicated with Centennial Park in 1887.
Numerous playing fields are located on the
southern and western flatter sections of the
park. It has been used for sports fields
since 1938. Moriah College which is just
across the road also uses the park for their
PDHPE lessons and other schools in Sydney
also use the park. Queens Park has completed
major renovation in 2009 to improve the
quality of the playing fields which are used
The park is surrounded by houses on three
sides. Many on the eastern side date from
the Victorian era. Those on the northern and
southern sides are mainly Federation.
Queens Park takes its name from the park of
the same name on its southern border.
Once part of Bondi Junction, the suburb's
name was officially recognised in 1992. A
significant number of longer-term residents,
however, in the Queens Park area, still
refer to their suburb as Bondi Junction.
This may be because Queens Park is a
relatively new and not widely known suburb
throughout Sydney, compared to the instantly
recognisable name of Bondi Junction.