Randwick is a suburb in south-eastern Sydney, located 6 kilometres south-east of the Sydney central business district and is the administrative centre for the local government area of the City of Randwick. Randwick is part of the Eastern Suburbs region and the postcode is 2031.
Randwick was named after the village of Randwick in Gloucestershire, England, birthplace of Simeon Henry Pearce, who became Mayor of Randwick no less than six times. Simeon and his brother James, who migrated to Australia in 1842, were responsible for the early development of Randwick and Coogee. Simeon lived in a house called Blenheim, which can still be seen in Blenheim Street. It was neglected for some time but was eventually acquired by Randwick Council and then restored.
Proclaimed as a Municipality in February 1859, and as a City in 1990 Randwick has a rich history and great natural beauty including a number of fine, heritage buildings. Another Mayor of Randwick, George Kiss, built the house known as Ventor in the 1870s. A two-storey sandstone house, Ventnor is situated on Avoca Street, overlooking Coogee. It is now owned by the nearby Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Church. Other buildings of note include the St Jude's Church group, also on Avoca Street. Originally designed by Edmund Blacket, (who also designed St. Andrew's Cathedral, Sydney and the University of Sydney) the church was completed in 1865, but its appearance was altered by H.M. Robinson in 1889. The rectory next door was built in 1870. The Verger's Residence, designed by Thomas Rowe and completed in 1862, was the original Randwick Burough Chambers. This distinctive building, with its Gothic touches, was succeeded later by the present Randwick Town Hall, which was built in 1886. The church group and Ventnor are on the National Estate.
Further down Avoca Street is the building originally known as the Star and Garter Inn, built in the 1830s. It was the home of Captain J. Watson, who was responsible for the memorial to Captain James Cook, which still stands at front of the building. One of the dominant features of the area is the Prince of Wales Hospital, which started life as a home for destitute children. It was financed by the legacy of Dr. Cuthill, who now has a street named after him. In 1915 the home became a military hospital and continued to grow as a medical facility.
Other noteworthy buildings include private homes like Ilfracombe and Clovelly, both in Avoca Street, and Venice, in Frenchmans Road. The latter was built in the early 1890s on part of St Mark's Glebe. The land had been leased in 1880 for 99 years to S.Holmes and J.Parsons. The house features Tudor and Gothic elements and has stained glass windows.
Another notable home was Sandgate, located in Belmore Road. This sandstone house was built circa 1870 on land granted to Simeon Pierce in 1853. A number of tenants passed through the house until it was bought by the Federal Government in the 1920s; it was then used as a Red Cross facility for First World War veterans. It was saved from demolition in 1978 and restored by Randwick Council.
The last Gothic mansion left in Randwick is Nugal Hall, located in Milford Street. It was designed by Mortimer Lewis and built in 1853 for Alexander McArthur, a shipping merchant. The house features a staircase with glass dome above; the staircase was built of Mauritius mahogany and cedar. The coach house building at the front was originally a lodge for horse-drawn vehicles. Two Randwick mayors lived at Nugal Hall.
The following items are on the Register of the National Estate:
Avonmore Terrace, The Avenue
St Jude's Church and Rectory, Avoca Street
Original Randwick Borough Chambers, Avoca Street
Newmarket House and The Big Stable, Barker and Young Streets
The Park, Avoca and Cuthill Streets
Prince of Wales Hospital Group, Avoca and High Streets
Randwick Lodge, 211 Avoca Street
Captain James Cook Statue, Avoca Street
Hannan's Butcher Shop, Belmore Road
Goldring House and Attached Residence, Avoca Street and Meares Avenue
Royal Hotel, Cuthill Street
Essex House, 7 Cuthill Street
House, 11 Cuthill Street
Randwick Police Station, Coogee Bay Road
Nugal Hall, Milford Street
Ventnor, Avoca Street
Members' Stand, Randwick Racecourse
Busby Bore (Tunnel from Lachlan Swamp to Hyde Park, City)
Randwick is primarily a residential area. The Randwick Racecourse takes up a large portion in the north-west corner of the suburb. The Prince of Wales Hospital, Royal Hospital for Women, Prince Henry Hospital and Sydney Children's Hospital are all located in Randwick. Randwick District Rugby Union Football Club play nearby at Coogee Oval.
The main commercial area is centred on Belmore Road, Avoca Street and surrounding streets. Randwick has two shopping centres, both on its main street, Belmore Road. Other major streets in the area include Alison Road and High Street. Randwick's main entertainment district is The Spot, located in the suburb's south-east, which contains the Randwick Ritz cinema and numerous cafes and restaurants.
Sport and recreation
Just 6 kilometres East of Sydney’s CBD, the City of Randwick, also known as the ‘Sports Coast’ is home to some 29 km of coastline, 10 beaches and bays and many major recreation facilities.Randwick City is one of the most visited tourist areas outside central Sydney, attracting some 13 million visits each year. The City is home to the Coastal Walkway, Randwick Racecourse, Coogee and Maroubra Beaches, Botany Bay National Park, Centennial Park, several top class golf courses and major institutions including the University of New South Wales and the Prince of Wales Hospitals.
A number of well-known sporting teams represent the local area. The local Randwick DRUFC rugby union team, nicknamed the 'Galloping Greens', is based in Coogee. Local derby contests between these two neighbouring teams are always fiercely contested. Junior rugby league teams include the Coogee Dolphins and Coogee-Randwick Wombats.
The former Randwick Post Office building in the centre of Randwick Junction (corner of Alison Road and Avoca Street) is known as Easts House. The building is owned by the Sydney Roosters (Eastern Suburbs Rugby League Club), which has donated the building for use by the Ted Noffs Foundation, for the purpose of providing assistance to troubled youth in the district.
Primary schools in the area include Our Lady Of The Sacred Heart, Coogee Public School, Claremont College, Randwick Public School, Coogee Preparatory School, The Joseph Varga School and Rainbow Street Primary. Secondary schools include Brigidine College, Marcellin College, Randwick Boys High School, Randwick Girls High School, Emanuel School and the Open High School. The Randwick North High School was closed in 2001 and the site was divided between the Open High School and Randwick Public School. The University of New South Wales is also located nearby.